Judging panel comprising Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak selects British education and healthcare app business as one of five most innovative tech companies in illustrious global awards programme.
Now in its fifth year, Talent Unleashed is a prestigious awards programme that recognises outstanding start-ups and inspiring entrepreneurs dedicated to transforming business and the wider community through technological innovation.
In a global awards ceremony held in Sydney, Australia last week, the final leg of the competition saw 10 regional finalists from APAC and Europe put to the test through a live pitching contest to Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak and a panel of esteemed judges, in front of an audience of 250 supporters, potential investors and technology entrepreneurs.
London-based Therapy Box was the only UK company to clinch a coveted award. Therapy Box provides speech and communications solutions on mobile devices. The company applies the latest innovations in app development to meet the needs of those who have communication difficulties, due to a range of disabilities such as dyslexia.
The five final 2016 Talent Unleashed Global Award winners are:
- Best Digital SME – Tech Innovation: Therapy Box (UK)
- Best Start-up – Social Impact: ODOCS (APAC), a social enterprise focused on the development and distribution of affordable smartphone-based technology for primary eye care.
- Best Start-Up – Tech Innovation: Clevertar (APAC), an Australian health IT company that introduces ‘clever avatars’ to care environments, supporting patients with chronic conditions at a fraction of the cost of human intervention.
- Best Tech IPO / Venture Capital Raising: ResApp Health (APAC) is digital health company developing smartphone applications for the diagnosis and management of respiratory disease.
- Most Disruptive CIO/CTO: Neal Cross, DBS (APAC) leads the DBS Innovation Group (DiG), a team of influencers that fosters the spirit of innovation throughout the bank.
Steve Wozniak, who has supported Talent Unleashed for the last three years, commented on the initiative and the 2016 winners: “The Talent Unleashed awards represent people who have had ideas, started companies and created products that either do good for society, help people and give us more in our life.”
Commenting on UK winner Therapy Box, Wozniak added: “We often suffice with ‘adequate’ – any voice will do. But this [Therapy Box] focuses on the person and their own voice. Technology should adapt to let humans be humans, not vice versa. What a beautiful concept.”
Francesco Costarelli, Project Manager at Therapy Box and the company’s representative on the night, added: “Talent Unleashed for our business is a big opportunity; to meet new people, like-minded people, build new relationships, and maybe find new partners for our project. It’s a great opportunity in terms of visibility for the company.”
Jon Butterfield, EMEA CEO, Talent International concluded: “Congratulations to our 2016 Talent Unleashed winners, including Therapy Box who represents the exciting future of the UK technology industry. As the companies that competed in Sydney last week have repeatedly demonstrated, great ideas are nothing without great people to build and execute them. We look forward to seeing how these businesses and their leaders pursue their passions and change lives with the technology they have created.”
As part of their prize, the five global winners will now travel to Silicon Valley for an exclusive tour of some of the world’s leading technology companies, as well as receive individual time with Steve Wozniak to be guided on their innovation journey.
Preview some of the highlights from the awards in Sydney here: